A public event will inevitably generate a certain amount of waste and the Montreux Jazz Festival’s mission is to limit its creation while at the same time maximizing sorting and recycling.
Last year’s efforts and new procedures saw the Montreux Jazz Festival win the Swiss Recycling Award for 2014 in the communication category. This prize rewards the teamwork aimed at achieving a near 100% sorting rate for recyclables, as well as the awareness campaign on the Festival grounds.
On site, this goal manifests itself in the following ways:
- returning the site to its original state on a daily basis;
- a team that works 24 hours a day, sorting trash and ensuring the cleanliness of the festival areas;
- An eco-compatible waste plant;
- Prevention and information for the public, in partnership with the Summit Foundation, to promote eco-friendly measures.
The Festival is able to optimize its waste management thanks to past experience, plus its participation with experts in the field:
- la Commune de Montreux et son Service de Voirie
- PET recycling
- IGSU : the Interest Group for a Clean Environment in Switzerland who is working together with the private sector against littering
- IGORA : collecting and recycling of used aluminium beverage cans
- Summit Foundation
- Retripa SA
- Chevalley Transports
The Montreux Jazz Festival collaborates with non-profit organization e-covoiturage.ch in order to provide a simple and ecological service to festivalgoers. Carpooling helps to increase the cars load factor and thus reduces pollution, greenhouse gaz emissions and nonrenewable energy use.